HP Designjet 500 / was....whatever

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/11/03-11:22:05 AM Z

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 FOTAR2@aol.com wrote:

> To whomsoever . . .
> At the risk of being labelled a curmudgeon, let me suggest some sources
> which could answer a lot of these digital questions far more efficiently, I
> don't think that that particular wheel needs to be re-invented here. There

No Bob, I don't label you a curmudgeon, rather I label you a generalizer
from the particular -- applying your own particular feelings to everyone.
I spent a year on the Epson list, and unless it's very different in its
new incarnation, it's less than useless for making digital negatives. (Not
to mention that one list is enough, indeed at times MORE than enough !)

> At least not in my understanding of why
> this group was created - digital negatives notwithstanding. Unless all the
> other problems with alternative photography have been solved. I'd just as
> soon avoid propagating that particular form of ad infinitum here, we have
> enough of our own.

Actually, "all the problems with alternative photography" are not going to
be solved by you, me, or anyone else in several life times. As long as a
process LIVES it has problems, which is in fact what makes it interesting.
In fact I quote William Mortensen (a line from the upcoming Post-Factory
now temporarily I hope derailed by file corruption... talk about taking
the particular from the general!): "Photography is just difficult enough
to be endlessly fascinating."

I daresay I'm not alone in finding that you here exceed your authority,
and that your um, "decision" is analogous to saying the other lists can't
discuss art or photo issues. Not to mention that there are many reasons
some of us don't care to be on a yahoo list. Should we discuss that? Or
perhaps you can bring yourself to simply delete what doesn't interest you?

Is there anything you wish to discuss you feel isn't getting due
attention?

Meanwhile and by the way, a friend of mine has made some dandy negatives
using an HP Designjet 500... because her school has one. It prints very
well on a cheapo vellum. Anyone know anything about that?

cheerio,

Judy