Re: printing with mold or fungus? (spore prints)

bi3@georgetown.edu
Date: 02/15/03-09:17:43 AM Z

Christopher--

Your query reminded me of an article my sister gave me a while ago.
The pages I have don't identify the magazine, but it is from the
"crafts" section. Text by Janine Nichols, photographs by Genti & Hyers.

The article is entitled "mushroom prints." You use mature mushrooms
which are rich with spores. First make a test (half on white and half
on black paper) to determine the color of the spores; from this you can
decide what color of paper to use for your print.

To print, lay the cap of the mushroom, gill-side down on your paper.
"Cover with a bowl or glass to keep spores from blowing away and to
allow humidity to increase. Let sit for at least an hour. . . You can
print on any kind [of paper]. . . for a denser deposit leave mushroom
on paper longer--up to overnight. The spore print will be fragile and
dusty. Preserve it with two to three coats of spray fixative."

The prints shown are from a variety of mushrooms (portabella, amanita,
maramius, bolete, lawn mower's mushrooms) on different color papers.
Some prints are from only one mushroom, several are arrangements of more
than one.

The article also has a hazard warning. "The process comes with a few
cautions. Many mushrooms are toxic so never eat any wild ones without
an expert's definitive identification. And after handling them, wash
hands and any dishes or baskets with which they came in contact."

I haven't tried this (having too many other irons in the fire as it is),
but the results shown were interesting, and it should be a fun project.

Suzanne Izzo