Re: salt print questions

From: Niranjan Patel (niranjan.patel@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/15/03-08:23:58 PM Z

I am fairly new to this list and newer still to the alternative photo
processes....having yet to make my first print. I have decided to start
with the oldest and the most basic of all processes, i.e. the salt print.
So I thought may be I will piggy-pack on this discussion.

I have been reading as much as I can find about this process on this list as
well as other web sources and several books, as I wait for all the
chemicals/papers/etc. to come together. One book, which is not an
alternative process book per se, gives a procedure that is different from
what is conventionally reported elsewhere. The book is by John
Schaefer -his Ansel Adams Guide Part II. In the book, he recommends to put
a coating of the Silver nitrate first, followed by floating in salt and the
finally a short float in a dilute (1%) Silver Nitrate. It makes sense (to
me) that this would result in a more controlled Nitrate/Chloride ratio on
the paper, perhaps giving rise to better predictability in the resulting
prints, as excess Silver Nitrate is known to play the role of a catalyst
(from what I have read) in conversion of Silver Chloride to metallic Silver
during exposure.

I was wondering if anyone on the list has tried something like that and
would care to share his/her experience/opinion on the same.

Thanks for your response.

Niranjan Patel.