Re: salt print questions

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/16/03-09:46:07 AM Z

Niranjan,

I'd forget what Schaefer says, which seems too me to be confusing and
unnecessarily complicated. You might like to take a look at
http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa050602a.htm for a feature
with some simple instructions that I used when teaching workshops. Others
may do things differently and get good results too of course.

You can adequately control the nitrate/chloride ratio by salting the paper
using a consistent procedure and then brush on a measured amount of silver
nitrate solution as evenly as possible. It works fine and avoids the
problems of changing silver bath concentrations.

The Ansel Adams Basic Photo Series was a great publication in its original
format in the 1950s (and I still occasionally refer to it), but each
revision seems to have lessened its utility. I'm pretty sure there was
nothing about alt processes in the original though.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/