Optimum Printer Resolution

From: Andrew Epstein (aiepstein@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/17/03-01:55:54 PM Z

A question about digital negative printing and printer resolution:

I've been making digitally enlarged negatives for about a year and a
half now with pretty good success, for a beginner that is. I've
determined the final enlargement size by factoring the original scan
resolution with what I've just assumed is a reasonable output
resolution, usually about 600dpi on a good inkjet printer (I've been
using an Epson 2000P). So, for example, in Photoshop, I enlarge a 2
1/4 square negative scanned at 3000dpi to 11 1/4 square by changing
the image resolution to 600dpi with the "resample image" box
unchecked.

A friend recently told me that the 2000P makes the best prints when
an image is set at 720dpi. It seemed to make sense as the printer
resolution is 1440 x 720. But is this truly the case? If so, is this
the rule with most inkjet printers?

--Andrew