Re: Optimum Printer Resolution

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 02/17/03-03:09:03 PM Z

Andrew . . this can become extremely complicated and I'm not the one to
clarify things . . . but, take our Epson 7500 @ school. ALL of our images
went through it are printed @ 360 dpi in resolution. Even if we scanned in @
4000 or 2700 or 1600 as is the case with our various scanning hardware, we
work in Photoshop and convert the final image to 360 dpi. This is all the
printer can handle. However, in your dialogue box for printing, it is wise
to print at the highest resolution permitted there . . . in the 7500 we
print there @ 1400. I know this sounds confusing but what we know is that
the output file . . say, an 8x10 inch Photoshop TIFF file, needs only to be
360 dpi for maximum information to be sent to the printer. Another handy
element I have noted is that if I want the image to print at a size larger
than 8x10 inches, I can 'blow it up' in the printer dialogue box w/out
incurring any noticeable loss of detail. The Epson driver is simply amazing.

I do hope this might help you but most likely it'll just make things more
confusing. My advice is to print files of the same image at different
resolutions and then compare. That is simply the best thing to do: compare
your own results and understand it via self experience rather than following
by rote. empirical knowledge is the way to go.
Jack

A question about digital negative printing and printer resolution:

I've been making digitally enlarged negatives for about a year and a half
now with pretty good success, for a beginner that is. I've determined the
final enlargement size by factoring the original scan resolution with what
I've just assumed is a reasonable output resolution, usually about 600dpi on
a good inkjet printer (I've been using an Epson 2000P). So, for example, in
Photoshop, I enlarge a 2 1/4 square negative scanned at 3000dpi to 11 1/4
square by changing the image resolution to 600dpi with the "resample image"
box unchecked.

A friend recently told me that the 2000P makes the best prints when an image
is set at 720dpi. It seemed to make sense as the printer resolution is 1440
x 720. But is this truly the case? If so, is this the rule with most inkjet
printers?

--Andrew