Re: Optimum Printer Resolution

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 02/17/03-03:10:24 PM Z

Hi Andrew,

A couple of suggestions.

1. When scanning, use the highest native OPTICAL resolution on your scanner
and avoid using any interpolation in the scanner software. Usually this will
give you the best scan to start with. If you need to make the image smaller
to make your negative then you can interpolate DOWN in Photoshop.

2. The Epson 2000p is a 1440 dpi printer. There is constant discussion
about what gives the best output with these printers. Many people have found
that 360 ppi files print best, since 360=1440/4, which is an even number. I
have tested this at 240, 300 and 360 then examined the output with a loupe
and of the three, 360 was the best. 720 ppi files might work for some line
art work, but the Epson Driver itself is probably going to interpolate the
file down to something it likes much better. You can test this all yourself
by printing a steptablet with 21 steps, but make each step or swatch big
enough to give you an idea of smoothness. Then to the page add a gradient
fill, some fine vertical, horizontal and angled lines and finally add an area
of checkerboard pixels that are made up of 1 pixel checks, 2x2 pixel checks,
4x4 pixels checks. Then try printing this out .. if you change the ppi in
the Photoshop size box (Image>Size) with Resample Image unchecked and it will
not mess up your nicely constructed target image by resampling it and
blurring the pixels.

3. Media choice is also important. The different media choices can affect
smoothness and banding, and definitly will change the maximum density of ink
you can get in a range of 1.1 to 2.4 measured with a transmissive
densitometer. My suggestion would be to try the media setting for Premium
Glossy Photo Film, which should give you a density of around 2.0 and make a
smooth negative.

4. Other things that will affect the image is whether you are using black
ink only/color ink, grayscale/rbg file, paper profiles, and all those options
on your epson driver. Also, you need to access the advanced options to make
sure you are using the right settings and dpi of the printer for different
media choices.

All the measured densities I listed above are on Pictorico film using Epson
Pigment inks on an Epson 10000 using the standard epson driver.

Hope this is helpful and not confusing.

Mark Nelson