Re: fresson printing

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/22/03-02:46:13 PM Z

The substrate idea has been picked up by several people in France and have
made what have been described to me as stunning prints. I have not seen
them myself however.

I believe some of the old timers used a similar method. In fact I examined
some Heinrich Kuhn gum prints back in the 70's and determined that they
were multi coated and there was a sheen of shellac on the back and
concluded (rightly or wrongly) that he had bonded them to something for
processing. I also had talked to a curator (I believe it was at the Met)
right about that time that was doing some research on Kuhn and said that
she thought that he had also bonded the prints from some notes he had left
but was not sure of what he was actually doing or referring to. It is a
simple enough idea to have been thought of and used by any number of people.

BTW you can pick up a nice Kuhn 9.5 x 10.5 inch gum for a measly $16,000.00 at:

http://www.leegallery.com/photo.html

About the price of a new Honda Civic.

Keep an eye out for Staurt Melvin's new gum work. He's supposed to have a
web site up soon. Real Soon Now. Stauart has taken gum to new levels and
will be presenting a segment at APIS is Santa Fe in July. he will reveal
some of his startling discoveries then. His book is supposed to be ready by
then but it is way late already but we'll get some good notes and
publishing them.

Stuart Has taught Kerik Kouklis gum and Kerik is also doing some stunning
work in gum. he is also doing some gum over platinum and has some pics on
his site to show comparisons of pure gum and gum over.

http://www.kerik.com/gum27.htm

and

http://www.kerik.com/gum25.htm

perhaps start at:

http://www.kerik.com/gumover.htm

The pics on the video screen do not do them justice. Yes, they do look like
that in real life and I think it is the multi levels of gum cause an
op-tickle diffraction (I think that's what's happening) that makes them of
glow.

For years people more or less did things the same old way. Nothing wrong
with that if it works but I have always hoped that alt photo practitioners
would explore and invent. That is now happening in this period of time and
it is pretty exciting.

--Dick