Re: Old Albumen Prints

From: David Barker (dbarker_ca@yahoo.com)
Date: 02/24/03-12:38:47 PM Z

Arthur,

I am not an expert on this at all, but I had some
unmounted albumens by Valentine that were badly curled
(don't know if this is part of your problem). I took
them into the bathroom and got things very steamy and
was able to ease them flat enough to get them into a
matte. It worked well and, as far as I can tell there
was no damage. I had trouble finding any consistent
information on how to deal with this problem.
Instinctively, I would not touch the surfaces with
anything wet (with water) since the albumen is very
hygroscopic. Maybe use PEC? I'm sure others will
have better knowledge.

David Barker