Re: Another, different chemistry question (the numbers)

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 01/02/03-09:06:02 AM Z

Richard Knoppow should reply Judy, but here is my stab at it. Take Nitrogen
and Oxygen for instance.

Formula Systematic Name Common Name
   NO nitrogen monoxide nitric oxide
   N2O dinitrogen monoxide nitrous oxide
   NO2 nitrogen dioxide nitrogen peroxide
   N2O5 dinitrogen pentoxide nitric anhydride
   N2O3 dinitrogen trioxide nitrous anhydride

When you work with other compounds, such as Iron compounds, there is a
difference in the Ferr-ic and Ferr-ous states. The -ic state has

Compound Stock Method Common Name
FeF2 iron (II) fluoride ferrous fluoride
FeF3 iron (III)fluoride ferric fluoride
Hg2Br2 mercury (I) bromide mercurous bromide
HgBr2 mercury (II) bromide mercuric bromide

If you want to read this in a clearer fashion, I garnered it from this web
site.
http://science.widener.edu/svb/pset/nomen_b.html

Jack