Another, different chemistry question (the numbers)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/02/03-12:00:52 AM Z

I may need some opinion here, more than FACT...

I've been trying to figure out (talking to alt photogs, contributors, et
al) why we're supposed to put those numbers with the names of chemicals,
like ferric (3) citrate, or maybe it's ferric (III) citrate.

I find it confusing (OK, it's new since I had chemistry in 10th grade),
and as far as I can tell doesn't add any information you don't have in the
word forms. Am I any more likely to get right chemical with those
numbers? My catalogs don't have them, just the names.

It strikes me therefore -- ALSO the folks I talked to -- that it
complicates the statement (or formula), sort of browbeating you by saying
what's already said -- or a tautology, if you will, which is considered
bad writing style.

Ie, ferric means one thing & ferrous another, and if someone confuses
them -- will those numbers unconfuse them ?

HOWEVER, I may be missing something -- could be those numbers are
important, and cutting them out would be bad & I shouldn't do it ?

So -- (a) is it special information?. (b) do you find it helpful?, (c) do
you mind if it's not there?

any advice/comments appreciated...

Judy