Re: Another, different chemistry question (the numbers)

From: Bob and Carla (bb333@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/02/03-10:00:44 AM Z

Judy,
    I think this is a good opportunity to ask for a Chem. Glossary or
primer of terms and measures for the final issue of PF. This would be
invaluable to those of use that are not seasoned Chemists. I would
also wish for a basic primer of scales and measurements that would
define minimal units of accurate measures, recommended brands of
scales, etc. This might take a little community effort, in that the
real knowledgeable among us would make their contributions, and
someone other than Judy (who is swamped already) could shoulder the
task of taking the various lists and contributions and editing and
compiling them into a condensed package. Or maybe it would be easier
for one expert to cover terms and measures, another to define basics
of sound methodolgy, another to make a list of formulaic alternatives
of the various salts, oxalates, fixatives and clearing agents, etc.
    I know that this sounds like a giant textbook, but I don't mean
that... What I am thinking of, which would be invaluable for the last
issue of PF, is a Primer of Basics; terms, measure, methods, succinct
and specific to the Alternative Photographic Processes as a basic part
of the PF collection.
    Is this just wishfull thinking?
PS: I just received Jack Fulton's list of terms...and this is exactly
what I would like to see in the PF Journal...succinct, but with the
other details, like units of measure, limits of accuracy, adequate
scales, in short and Alt Process primer of units of measure and
glossary of terms, etc.

Robert