Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 01/02/03-06:38:37 PM Z

Judy,

> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Don Bryant wrote:
>
> > > Can't go 3rd party in the 2200/7600/9600/10600 series. Chipped
> > cartridges.
> >
> > Media Street sells CIS carts for the 2200 plus a chip resetter tool.
>

> Wow ! Almost makes me want a 2200 just for the chip resetter... but it's
> too much trouble for only 1/8 inch wider than my 1160 -- which has no
> chips.

The 2200 will produce a full 13 inch image the 1160 will go 12.5 inches or
there abouts. Personally I prefer some paper around my image anyway.

> Have you got one?

You mean a 2200? No. But I know a few people who do. The meta,erism is still
there for neutral black&white prints as Dan pointed out but some folks are
printing with black only inks. I've not seen one yet but I do have a friend
who prints BO with a 1280 with very very good results. Most of the black
only prints I've made or seen look grainey and lack pleasing gradation.

> what does it cost?

I think about $600. They are finally making their way into the distribution
channels after the Lonshore mans strike has ended.

If you mena the Media Street inks the CIS setup with ink is $299, Not too
unreasonable as prices for inkjet stuff goes.

> a couple of years ago on the
> Epson list someone posted an explanation of how to reset the chips
> yourself...

I'm not sure if that applies to the 2200.

Since you are like me and prefer to keep your 1160 you may interested to
hear that I have a friend that uses the Media Street CIS inks for monochrome
sepia printing on Royal Plush paper. He had profiles made by Profilecity.com
and has made a lot of nice prints using an undercolor of one kind or another
in his mono prints. You can see an example of his work at:

http://www.atlantaphotographygroup.org/about/portfolio2002/west.shtml

FWIW, I ordered the Cone Tech Piezo driver for my 1160 and look forward to
making prints and digital negatives using that driver. As Jack Fulton
mentioned the Piezo system can make excellent prints on the Hannemuhl
papers.

As for a 16x20 printer I'm hoping Epson will come out with a replacement for
the 3000. Perhaps that will drive their prices down a bit on the used
market. But perhaps not, if history can serve as an indicator the, 1160s
continue to hold their prices even though they have been discontinued.

Don Bryant