Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/02/03-07:19:40 PM Z

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Don Bryant wrote:

> The 2200 will produce a full 13 inch image the 1160 will go 12.5 inches or
> there abouts. Personally I prefer some paper around my image anyway.

Actually, the 1160 will do 12.7 inches -- and that's according to
Epson, also Seigel. So I wouldn't try to break in a new printer for only
3/10ths inch wider.

> > what does it cost?

I meant what does the chip resetter cost... is that the $600 you're
talking about? Somehow I doubt.

> I think about $600. They are finally making their way into the distribution
> channels after the Lonshore mans strike has ended.
>
> If you mena the Media Street inks the CIS setup with ink is $299, Not too
> unreasonable as prices for inkjet stuff goes.

I don't want to make "photographs," only negatives, & only in black, so I
don't plan to use CIS.... just cheap black 3rd party cartridges.

> FWIW, I ordered the Cone Tech Piezo driver for my 1160 and look forward to
> making prints and digital negatives using that driver. As Jack Fulton
> mentioned the Piezo system can make excellent prints on the Hannemuhl
> papers.

The hahnemuhl papers make excellent gum prints, too !

> As for a 16x20 printer I'm hoping Epson will come out with a replacement for
> the 3000. Perhaps that will drive their prices down a bit on the used
> market. But perhaps not, if history can serve as an indicator the, 1160s
> continue to hold their prices even though they have been discontinued.

that's interesting... but not surprising. A characteristic of the
computer industry (IMO) seems to be that a certain golden point is reached
with either software OR hardware... but of course they MUST keep selling
"upgrades" -- hence they diddle with it and DESTROY ! Do you know what
I've gone through to keep my wonderful old Microsoft word 5.1 going?
After that -- brain death. Maybe Epson has run its natural evolutionary
cycle too.

PS. I have a friend swears by a wide carriage HP printer at her school,
for making prints AND negatives. I'll ask the name.

J.