Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 01/02/03-07:53:32 PM Z

Judy,

> I meant what does the chip resetter cost... is that the $600 you're
> talking about? Somehow I doubt.

The chip resetter is about $25.00.

> I don't want to make "photographs," only negatives, & only in black, so I
> don't plan to use CIS.... just cheap black 3rd party cartridges.

Inkjet prints are an easy way to proof negatives. A CIS system will provide
the cheapest and easiest way to use inks, black or color. As Dan Burholder
points out in his book, physical density negatives may not provide the most
desirable negative.

> > As for a 16x20 printer I'm hoping Epson will come out with a replacement
for
> > the 3000. Perhaps that will drive their prices down a bit on the used
> > market. But perhaps not, if history can serve as an indicator the, 1160s
> > continue to hold their prices even though they have been discontinued.
>

> that's interesting... but not surprising. A characteristic of the
> computer industry (IMO) seems to be that a certain golden point is reached
> with either software OR hardware...

I wouldn't call them golden points, more like way points along an endless
path of upgrades.

> but of course they MUST keep selling
> "upgrades" -- hence they diddle with it and DESTROY ! Do you know what
> I've gone through to keep my wonderful old Microsoft word 5.1 going?

I would have to ask, "Why?".

> After that -- brain death. Maybe Epson has run its natural evolutionary
> cycle too.

Probably not. The 7600 is very fine printer, but at a very fine price.

> PS. I have a friend swears by a wide carriage HP printer at her school,
> for making prints AND negatives. I'll ask the name.

I have no doubt that HP makes some excellent printers, but Epson seems to
have the synergy with hardware and software vendors.

Don