Re: Another, different chemistry question (the numbers)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/02/03-10:56:48 PM Z

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Bob and Carla wrote:

> also wish for a basic primer of scales and measurements that would
> define minimal units of accurate measures, recommended brands of
> scales, etc. This might take a little community effort, in that the

Speaking of recommended scales -- don't we still love Ohaus? Or what's
new?

Meanwhile, however, my feeling is that no one can -- or should -- define
all this for someone else... and most cannot be generalized across the
board...Just listen to two platinum printers wrangle, let alone two gum
printers... Also, for a small amount of a potent chemical, say your 4 g
of silver in an emulsion, accuracy probably means more than for a large
amount of, say, sodium sulfite.... but if you're using tap water and not
measuring with pipettes... you're only doing ballpark anyway. PLUS, there
are lab manuals and Photographic Facts and Formulas -- maybe my advice
would be download them from --(Stanford?) website.

> ,,,,define basics
> of sound methodolgy, another to make a list of formulaic alternatives
> of the various salts, oxalates, fixatives and clearing agents, etc.

Experience warns me against giving as gospel what I haven't tested myself
(and even then nothing is all that sure, too many variables) -- then
you're on a level with Kosar which, if you check through, is full of
"probably," "it is reported" "presumably" and like that, not very
definitive, though of course full of info as starting point. (There's also
the fact that many of these cannot be recommended solo, but only as part
of a combo.) Mercifully, this isn't rocket science (or would we be here?).

> ....Primer of Basics; terms, measure, methods, succinct
> and specific to the Alternative Photographic Processes as a basic part
> of the PF collection,

It's on the agenda...

thanks for idea/reminder !

J.