Re: Another, different chemistry question (the numbers)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/02/03-10:47:30 PM Z

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Bob and Carla wrote:

> PS: I just received Jack Fulton's list of terms...and this is exactly
> what I would like to see in the PF Journal...succinct, but with the
> other details, like units of measure, limits of accuracy, adequate
> scales, in short and Alt Process primer of units of measure and
> glossary of terms, etc.

bob, you're so right -- and I have several times started such, in fact
have a few sections somewhere... but always something else had to be
squeezed in as part of an article & the "extra" got squeezed out. Even
more important of course is metric -- amazing how much American students
do not know metric (but then they tend not to know how many quarts in a
gallon either).

The business about the question I just asked however, is not necessarily
one I would include -- or let me put it this way. I didn't understand some
of the answers, and the ones I did understand said you use one or the
other, not -ic and -ate or -ous with the numbers. Since every one of my
catalogs that I could lay hands on in the year 2003 had the endings, not
the numbers, and our formulas have been written that way to date in every
one of our current books, and I've never seen those numbers ANYWHERE in
alt except Mike Ware's website, think I'm going to relax on that one !

Meanwhile, whoever has a copy of Cassell's will find a good section on
Weights and Measures -- it's a bit confusing also, because it gives two or
three kinds of weight -- apothecary, avoirdupois, and something else I
forget now. I work backwards on it -- I know that what we use is 28.X
grams to an ounce for weight, so I pick that one (as I recall avoirdupois,
which sounds excellent anyway.)

I also have and HIGHLY recommend, if Ikea still has it, a tape measure
that's inches on the top, cms on the bottom, that is you can see both
without turning it over. A couple of years ago they were giving them
away, don't know if they still do, but I'm very careful with mine.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.... and of course volunteers!

Meanwhile, thanks...

Judy