Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 01/04/03-12:00:33 PM Z

Don,

> > Also, that orange apparently doesn't work with gum (if it did we
couldn't
> > print orange !), and I gather may not work well with cyanotype either. I
> > don't know about the silver processes.
> >

> I don't follow your logic here. The orange dye provides a similar effect
> pyro stained negatives for the transmission of UV light, as I understand
it.
> You should be able to print any color of gum with colorized negatives. Can
> someone explain how this isn't true and would affect the printing of gum
of
> any color?

You're right. The logic is that the orange color blocks both white and UV
light the way silver does; meaning it limits the exposure to the emulsion
holding the pigment and gives a gradation. Different orange colors work
better with different processes; though I haven't had much luck with
spectral negatives.

> > Simple black in the standard Epson dye inks reads very well by
> > densitometer and can be curved... so it's easier across the board, or
> > seems so to me.
> >

> Probably so.

I tried printing using black only last night and got a negative that reminds
me of shooting Delta 3200 at an EI of 25000 and giving extream
over-development. Is there any way of getting the smooth transitions of 6
inks using only the black?

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net