Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 01/04/03-11:21:39 AM Z

Judy,

> Also, that orange apparently doesn't work with gum (if it did we couldn't
> print orange !), and I gather may not work well with cyanotype either. I
> don't know about the silver processes.

I don't follow your logic here. The orange dye provides a similar effect to
pyro stained negatives for the transmission of UV light, as I understand it.
You should be able to print any color of gum with colorized negatives. Can
someone explain how this isn't true and would affect the printing of gum of
any color?

> Simple black in the standard Epson dye inks reads very well by
> densitometer and can be curved... so it's easier across the board, or
> seems so to me.

Probably so.

> > > PS. I have a friend swears by a wide carriage HP printer at her
school,
> > > for making prints AND negatives. I'll ask the name.
> >
> > I have no doubt that HP makes some excellent printers, but Epson seems
> > have the synergy with hardware and software vendors.
>
> AFAIK, only one "software" program required -- Photoshop. I printed from
> Photoshop onto my ancient old laser.

Well that depends. If you are printing physical density negatives with the
Piezotone inkset the Piezo driver is required. If you use an MIS inkset for
example, a specific curve for that inkset may be required also. All off
which are targeted to Epson printers. The Colorbyte Image Print 5 RIP may
support other printers besides Epsons though.

Yesterday I read about a new inkjet printing package beta named Ink Jet
Control (IJC) for printing gray scale images. The current relaese supports
only the Epson 1160/1280/2200 desk top printers and the 7000/9000 series
printer. Among other things this software will allow you to control which
inkjets are used for printing.

> By hardware you mean CIS and similar?

Yes.

> If we could get ink at a reasonable price we wouldn't need that expense,
> fuss, and mess... So let us fight the corporate monopolistic behemoth...
> And now that Epson is chipping everything -- according to the capitalist
> system, some other entrepreneur should arrive to fill the void.

I've heard estimates that Epson inks cost the consumer $4000 to $8000 a
gallon, hence my desire to use other inks.

Don