Re: Constable/ was Thomas Kinkade, Beyond the GArden GAte

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/05/03-08:16:29 PM Z

Arthur wrote:

> Shannon, I think you are selling Constable way short. There's so much more
> to his work than the thatched hut motif and what some of now think of as
> "Kitsch." He was a brilliant, pioneering landscape painter, and in point
> of fact he is one of the British artists credited as a precursor of the
> Barbizon School and French Impressionism. I think you'll have to look at a
> lot more Constables and dig a little deeper. Arthur

Didn't mean to diss Constable--he's one of my favorite painters ever. I
think I was influenced more than I even realize by the reproduction of The
Haywain that has hung over my parents' sofa. After all, I often photograph
country streams with a little black and white dog running along side. I
just meant that some people may like Kinkade for the same reason they like
Constable: the scenes are somewhat idealized versions of rural English
country life.

--shannon