Re: Thomas Kinkade, Beyond the GArden GAte

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/05/03-05:12:09 PM Z

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> I'm with Marco on this one. Funny how the French Academy and the Salon got
> such a bad rap. So much great art came through that system that they had to
> build giant museums to house it all, and those museums are still packed
> every day. And we tend to forget that some rather revolutionary art
> eventually made it to the public through the Salon.

 True enough, but what's "packed every day" is no proof of quality. The
racetracks, the strip bars, even mcDonalds are "packed very day." Go to
the Metropolitan Museum ANY day and what will be "packed" is the
blockbuster, easy Impressionist, or other crowd pleaser. The halls where
they have some of their great marvels (in for instance metal, glass,
Persian, Chinese, Egyptian, anything more difficult, even certified modern
Americans) are likely to be empty.

J.