two to google/origin of the term

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/08/03-04:45:29 PM Z

Since the topic of outsider art seems to be drawing interest, let me
mention two more, one of whom is probably well known, although again (uh
oh, it's getting worse!) the name of the sculptor/architect doesn't spring
to mind.... The Watts towers... I've seen lots of pictures, they look
heavenly.

The other is A. G. Rizzoli, "architect of magnificent visions," a
draftsman by day who came home at night to his mother's house and drew his
fantasy buildings, dedicated to, or personifiying, people in his life, in
the city of YTTE, standing for Yield To Total Elation. In his life, he
couldn't get anyone to look at the drawings. He tried to invite the
neighborhood on Saturday afternoons, but only one 10-year old girl turned
up. He dedicated a building to her...

As I recall his work was saved by a nephew -- oh wait a minute, checking
the flap of the Abrams book I find this about one of the contributors:

Roger Cardinal is Professor of Literary and Visual Studies at the
University of Kent at Canterbury. He is responsible for coining the term
outsider art, which he made known with the publication of his book by the
same name in 1972. Other books by Dr. Cardinal include The landscape
Vision of Paul Nash; Figures of Reality: A Perspective on the Poetic
Imagination; and Primitive Painters.

Score for the "mother country" !

J.

Judy