Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Alan Bucknam (alan@notchcode.com)
Date: 01/10/03-12:56:18 PM Z

I'm not a professional paper-maker, but with years spent as a graphic
designer, and with paper representatives to count among my friends,
I've picked up a little info that might be helpful:

International Paper's little Pocket Pal, a staple of graphic designers'
and printers' bookshelves, has a great glossary on many paper terms.

Hot press, as I recall, involves finishing the paper by rolling it
through a series of rollers that have been heated. This produces a very
"herd", very smooth, surface. Cold press does the same thing, but with
unheated rollers. The main component of this finishing stage is the
pressure of the rollers; the heated component is what makes hot pressed
paper so much smoother....although cold press papers will still give
you a smooth finish.

The other terms: mold-made, web-made, hand-made, refer to the specific
process....Paper can be made in trays (molds), which has a wire screen
on the bottom and wooden sides. Pulp slurry is dumped into these molds;
the water passes through, and more is pressed out. More slurry is
added, more pressing is done...eventually you end up with paper. This
is how a majority of hand-made paper is made. You can do it yourself
with scraps of test strips....makes a good handmade book cover for your
next photo project! Web-made paper probably refers to most modern
paper-making processes, where the slurry is deposited onto a wire
screen that rolls through roller stations, getting more and more
compressed; this produces a more even sheet than a mold-made paper.

-Alan Bucknam