Re: Ambrotypes

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 01/11/03-05:36:15 AM Z

Jack has covered the essentials, but anyone who would like a little more
background can take a look at the page on it in a pair of features I wrote
on the collodion process last year - at
http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa111802c.htm

Despite having been previously invented in Europe, both the ambrotype and
the melainotype were patented in the USA. The patent office later decided
it should never have allowed Cutting's ambrotype patent, particularly as
it also applied to the use of silver bromide in photography which had
previously been a part of both calotype and daguerreotype processes.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/