Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 01/11/03-02:21:12 AM Z

Alan Bucknam wrote:

> I think that the best thing to do is try papers that look interesting,
> and use whatever side you prefer, and at some point call the "correct"
> terminologies irrelevant.

Well, sure, that's what I've always done, as should have been clear from
my initial post on the subject. My question was not what side to call
the front. I think my question has been missed and perhaps I phrased
it badly so it wasn't properly understood. So let's consider Arches
Platine for a moment, which has a definite front to it that is
definitely smoother than the back. My question is: why is it that that
front is the wire side and has a wire texture in the surface, why didn't
they make the felt side the smooth side? The texture is not visible in
the new sheet, but becomes more visible as the sheet is wetted and (to
my eye) spoils the detail in a small print.
kt