Re: light question (semi off topic)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/14/03-11:23:45 PM Z

Thanks to all for answers, but I've gotten deeper into this and have to
reveal the issue, which might just possibly be off topic.

Ahem. My block association wants to replace the so-called "cobra head"
street lamps on our block with what some of us consider Disneyland
cutesypoo "Bishop's Crooks." Nobody knows the figures to compare
efficiency, light output, bulb life, wave length, but they "like" the
(crude) repro of the old timey look. They probably have the votes.

Got that?

In fact it seems I'm the first one ever asked about efficient use of
electricity. The rest just "trust in DOT" (Department of Transportion).
(That's like the T-shirt that says, "trust me, I'm a doctor.")

Anyway, these modern Bishop's Crooks have got new modern bulbs, nobody yet
has been able to name them more precisely than "maybe something like, um,
halide?" One of the catches is that they're so BRIGHT at window level
(much shorter than the cobra heads) they shine into people's rooms, but
folks can ask (the story is) to have a black patch applied on their side
to block the light.

I realize it's a case of don't bother us with the facts, we know what we
like... But, anyway, I figured someone here would know if energy is wasted
by blocking the light, or if it's ALL deflected elsewhere.

My recollection is that the cobra heads were originally installed as
energy saving (sodium vapor, I believe), but that's also an issue not on
the table (yet).

J.