Re: "magic brush"

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/14/03-10:59:09 PM Z

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Jack Fulton wrote:

> Good old sweet, slightly mad, Carlos Gasparinho used a nifty brush that is
> disposable. I forget it's technical name . . something like a 'barlow'
> brush.
> It was a flat, rectangular (about 2" x 8") piece of glass, sanded on all
> edges.
> Go to a good fabric store and purchase synthetic pile. It is a fabric that
> has millions of fibrous hairs . . sort of like a close-up of a lawn. You cut
> the fabric into strips . . say 2" x 3" and place it at one end of the glass

If memory serves that was called a buckle brush, didn't have to be glass,
a flat shim of wood would serve, and the ones I made (from instructions in
old process books) used strips of flannel from worn out nightgown... I
think it was what they used before they had foam. I ultimately abandoned
it in favor of the nice soft foam brush (one with the wood handle) for a
number of reasons including that if there were the least irregularity in
the underlayment, it left a mark when coating with something rigid.

The foam takes that in stride.

J.