Cyanotype on Glass

From: Nancy Thompson (jcferg@rconnect.com)
Date: 01/15/03-11:02:24 PM Z

Hello,

I am attempting to print cyanotypes on glass - I have subbed the (clean) glass with three coats of 3% gelatin, hardened with glyoxal. I let this dry. Then I apply the cyanotype emulsion, (mixed two parts cyanotype to one part gelatin) to the plate, everything warmed a bit. All this is per Christopher James book and Galina Manikova's directions.

The trouble seems to be getting the cyanotype emulsion to stick to the plate. It looks beautiful for a few seconds when it goes into the water but then it floats off in pieces, or at least runs in places. Sometimes, however, it sticks. I wonder if others have worked with this process and dealt with this problem? I can't seem to find the variable that makes it work sometimes and not others!

Carlos Ferguson