Re: Cyanotype on Glass

From: Nancy Thompson (jcferg@rconnect.com)
Date: 01/16/03-11:37:47 AM Z

I will try the acrylic medium as well as the albumen as a subbing. Right now I am trying something like a mix between egg tempera and cyanotype (cyanovo?). Mixing egg yolk with the cyanotype directly on the glass. It seems to stick better than the gelatine, not perfectly yet, and the amount of time the emulsion can be soaked before it softens is not very long. Perhaps hardening it will solve this problem. I will let you know about the liquitex and albumen

Is the whole gelatine layer coming off? Usually something goes between the gelatine and the glass. Collodion was used in the past . I have had good results with Liquitex medium (clear acrylic for painting). It will stick to the glass or also to vinyl sheet. It is absorbant of water based materials so the gelatine really sticks to it.

Sometimes the whole layer, sometimes it just droops in parts.

A bazzar possability... If you build up many layers of the liquitex it will form a tough layer. After creating your image if you soak the plate in warm water until the water is saturated all the way to the support the liquitex-gelatine- image sandwhich can be pulled off the support and because it is stretchy can be formed over three dimentional surfaces. Cute trick if you ever need it.

Jack Brubaker