coating albumen

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/21/03-12:43:46 AM Z

To the list mind, again:

Friend of mine is coating albumen, and not happy with hake brushes, foam
applicators and the like.It seems the hake soon gets scratchy & the foam,
even the softer foam, is too stiff.

I told him about the list's love of "magic brush," but of course I have no
idea how that would work for albumen. He wants to try it however, so I
promised I'd ask for advice about which width would be best. Do you want
as wide as possible, or are several narrower strokes preferable. He's
coating mostly 8x10 at present.

I recall Carl explaining that the wedge shaped tip on the Richeson gives
it an edge, so to speak. But my thought was that wouldn't matter in
albumen which is getting a much wetter coat. Or would it?

I also recall Sandy King's mention of synthetic fabric for Blanchard
brush. I think you said which fabric, Sandy, but in the info overload on
these premises I can't locate it. Is that something generally available?
Have you tried it for albumen?

My thought was to try it also for, say, gum, Maybe it wouldn't work at all
("normal" blanchard brush wasn't good for gum), but I'm curious to try the
improved version.

TIA for advice,

PS to Gord in the sunny north: Has Canada gone metric or what? My little
chart doesn't even have 10 degrees C on it... tho that's a photo chart,
doesn't go below 14 C, which is 58 F -- like summer ! We're slated to
have "single digit" Fahrenheit temperatures tomorrow & rest of week.(Maybe
metric people get better weather? I could believe it.)

Judy