Re: Vandyke brownprints - silvery deposit

From: Neil Miller (neil@miller.gioserve.com)
Date: 01/21/03-02:39:44 AM Z

Thanks Sandy and Judy, but now I am mystified. I have talked to others who
say that they always get a precipitate. Also, the very fact I went for the
"drop-by-drop" method is because that is what the book "Spirits of Salts"
tells its readers to do. It says that if you dont add the silver nitrate
solution slowly - drop by drop - that a sludge will form and you will need a
scientist to tell you what to do next.

I know that the water is OK because it is made in a home steam distiller and
it works a treat with other things, eg film developers that throw a deposit
when mixed with tap water or even reverse-osmosis water.

One thing I queried with my chemical supplier is why the ferric ammonium
citrate changed colour from brown to green. I was assured that both were
the "green" variety, but I use the one that is faintly lime-green in colour
to make the
solution up with. A and B mix fine, and no deposit is formed with up to
20ml of the silver nitrate solution mixed into A+B, although you can see a
milkiness when
each drop hits the mix right from the start. It just mixes in and
doesn't precipitate out until around the 20cc mark. If I don't go really
slow from then on, the "milkiness" gets really bad. I'm talking about 5
mins or more to drop the C solution in - a real pain.

Thanks for the continuing help,
Neil.

---