Re: Ox Gall?

From: Neil Miller (neil@miller.gioserve.com)
Date: 01/24/03-08:24:03 AM Z

ox gall is not the same as gall nuts. Ox gall comes from an animal. I used
to use it to thin/bind colours when using water colours to produce marbled
paper.

Gall nuts are small round growths on oak trees, produced by a parasite
(larva of a small wasp). They are also referred to as oak-apples.

Pyrogallol is made from pyrogallic acid - I think it is distilled. Gall
nuts contain - among other things - gallic acid.

Pyrogallol is a staining developer, other staining developers contain
catechol and pyrocatechin (not sure if they are the same thing).

Regards,
Neil