Re: seeking info on making quality inkjet prints

From: David Jackson (lagniap@tulane.edu)
Date: 01/24/03-10:52:21 AM Z

Paul,

Jeff and Charles have given you some good references so I would only add
the Epson printers group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EPSONx7x_Printers/

To, perhaps, shorten your journey if this is your first venture into this
quagmire allow me to give you some of the signposts along the way. If you
are already familiar with these 'issues' perhaps this will be of aid to
other list members.

1. Color or BW prints? If both you are probably looking at a separate
printer setup for each. If BW you can look into Quad tone printing and/or
'Black only' printing. See Jeff's referenced BW group for the best resource
here.

2. In either case you will want to deal with the correct color calibration
of you computer monitor as a starting point.

3. The Printer. Epson is the standard right now although some people are
trying out the new Cannon. There are more after-market options (Third-party
inks and continuous ink systems (CIS)) for the Epsons, but this is a
rapidly changing area. See Jeff's two commercial references for a start on
third-party inks.

4. Frequency, Quantity of printing / Costs. There are performance problems
with these printers is they are used only sporadically but id that is what
you will be doing you may wish to continue to use the cartridge ink
supplies. However, if you are printing everyday or in volume you may wish
to consider the after-market CIS systems referred to above. These reduce
costs of ink and eliminate changing out cartridges. This must be researched
carefully because choices here limit options down the line ie, What
printers is a particular CIS available, What inks do I want to use and what
CIS are they available for. If you continue with cartridges you can also
investigate refilling your own carts to reduce costs, use different inks
and add more hassles to your life ;-)

5. Paper and ink combinations. As with the alt processes or with film and
developer combinations there are two realms here: works vs don't work and
questions of the artistic and technical merit of a given combination.
Looking at prints helps here to find something that speaks to your personal
aesthetics. Again, beware as you can spend a BUNCH of money on equipment
that is useless for what you discover down the line that you 'really'
wanted to do. Like everything else, the technology determines your options.

This is off the top of my head. I'm sure I've left huge holes, but hop it
may help.

Best Regards,

David Jackson

At 09:48 AM 1/24/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I am seeking web-based information on making quality inkjet prints.
>
>I have some decades of experience with the silver-gelatin process and have
>had my own darkroom for almost as long.
>
>What I am looking for is one or more web sites that feature specific
>information / experience on how people have produced high-quality prints
>with their inkjet printers.
>
>I've run my queries through the normal search engines, but unfortunately
>broad searches pull up printer companies and narrow searches produce very
>little.
>
>Does anybody know of one or more good web sites on this topic?
>
>Thanks.

David Jackson
First Year Experience Program
Tulane University