Re: paper for cyanotype or other alt processes

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 01/27/03-10:53:21 AM Z

> Hope this helps, Christina. & Please let us know YOUR favourites &
> recommendations
> Kris

Well, so far of the papers I said I tried, the Crane's Platinotype is very
sharp and very nice contrast. However, there is a Japanese Torinoko not
100% gampi paper that I bought that is slightly cream colored in a yellow
not a brown way, very fine and thinnish, it was 3000Y for a 3' by 6' sheet
(about $25) from Haibara in Japan, that is equally as sharp, and
interestingly, the cyano on it prints blackish and crisp. (I am using Mike
Ware's formula that I bought via the Ph Formulary (testing this first) on
all of these). It is a very strong paper. That and the onion skin 100%
gampi are really fine.
     I talked with a woman at Aiko in Chicago, where they will send you a
sample pack of all their papers, and she sent me larger than 2" swatches of
a number of papers she thought would have good wet strength. There are 9
papers in there I will test. Of course, with 4" samples I won't get an idea
of wet strength with a 24" piece of paper, but it is amazing how strong
these papers are.
     I can't say I was really impressed with the Fabrianos Uno and Artistico
or the Arches so far, but I am also trying to perfect my enlarged negs and I
think it's just that my enlarged neg is low contrast. I've just got a bunch
of that paper on hand and thought I'd see how it did.
     I will also be toning a bunch of these. I used the ammonia
bleach/strong tea method and it was unique.
     My gut is if I mounted a show, I would consider doing all of these
images (of Japan) on the tissue thin gampi, wrinkles and all.
Chris