Re: introduction and request for info on digital negatives

From: H. Lee Pratt (squnch@cox.net)
Date: 01/27/03-12:25:50 PM Z

Hello Tom,

My name is Lee Pratt and I've been "lurking" on the list for a while. I
too have found it to be a fine group. As this is my first post to the
list, perhaps some others will find my information of interest.

First: You probably know this from Dan, but he is giving a workshop at
Photographers Formulary in Condon, MT, 15--20 June. I've attended two
other workshops there, and have always had a great experience. You can
contact them at:

http://www.workshopsinmontana.com

Second: I too have an Epson 3000, which I have dedicated to b&W work,
using the PiezographyBW drivers and inks. My understanding at this
point is that you only need a "curve" if you are making a contact
negative through a service bureau = using lithographic film. I doubt
you will need any curve to make a desktop negative on your Epson, as
you can simply invert your final image to a negative and print it to
your 3000 on Pictorico OHP film. (Epson transparency film does not
work, but the Pictorico product does.) If your positive looks good on
the screen, the negative will probably print well on #2 paper.

  Yesterday I used this process to produce an 8x10 "DCN" = Digital
Contact Negative (my name for these things), which I then printed on
Azo. I've just started doing this, and haven't got all the fine tuning
done, but this look like a dynamite process. Azo is a slow contact
paper with a remarkable long scale and lovely tonality. My first
attempt was more than satisfactory. You could also use enlarging paper
and an enlarger as a light source to print the same "off the screen"
negative, although I've not done this and have no data to share.

For gum bichromate, I understand that one needs a negative of normal
contrast, again producible without any special curve. I too am
interested in gum printing, which I believe Dan is going to cover in
his workshop.

If I've raised more questions than I've provided answers, I'll try to
answer any future queries posted

For info on printing on Azo paper, contact:

www.michaelandpaula.com

For info on PiezographyBW inks and drivers, contact:

www.injetmall.com

Regards,

Lee

H. Lee Pratt
Writer/Photographer
P O Box 50421
Santa Barbara, CA 93150
Mobile: 805-689-3248
(24/7 Answering Service)
FAX: 80-565-1670

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 08:14 AM, Tom Couch wrote:

> Good Morning to all:
>
> My name is Tom and I joined your circle yesterday so I may be
> premature in asking for help without knowing just what everyone talks
> about.
>
> I am starting into desktop negatives with the goal of progressing
> through gum bichromate to carbon printing.  I've obtained a copy of
> Dan Burkholder's book on the subject and talked with him
> telephonically.  I am sure that I can eventually come up with the
> necessary curves but to date Dan has not worked with either the 3000
> or the 1200 (Epsons) that I have.  Being somewhat lazy I was hoping
> that someone has already done the necessary experimenting and can
> supply some date applicable to my two printers.  Besides curves, any
> other info on paper/strata, inks, well, just anything that you might
> feel helpful.
>
> Since yesterday I have read 18 of your messages and this sounds like a
> real fine group to join. Thanks in advance.....TOM

<image.tiff>

> Do you Yahoo!?
H. Lee Pratt
Santa Barbara, CA 93108