Re: seeking info on making quality inkjet prints

From: David Jackson (lagniap@tulane.edu)
Date: 01/27/03-12:29:39 PM Z

Thanks, Paul. More thoughts...

At 02:49 PM 1/25/03 -0500, you wrote:

>>2. In either case you will want to deal with the correct color
>>calibration of you computer monitor as a starting point.

><snip>
> My thoughts are to skip monitor calibration.

<snip>

This works so long as your system does not need to play nice with others.
That is, you are setting up a closed imaging/printing system and you will
not be sending out or receiving files where you need a high level of
confidence that you and someone else are seeing the 'same thing' on both of
your monitors. This would include working with service bureaus and printers.

>>3. The Printer.
>
>Printer must produce high quality prints and have continuous ink system
>available. Therefore, I believe it will be an Epson.
>

>>4. Frequency, Quantity of printing / Costs.
>
>Very frequent. Very high. Will print on high-quality photo glossy stock
>purchased in bulk. Want to refill cartridges.

There is some confusion here. Ink delivery will be either CIS or
cartridges. For high output CIS is the way to go, as you have chosen, and
you will not have to concern yourself with cartridges.

>>5. Paper and ink combinations.
>
>Willing to experiment and research to get maximum value for investment.

<snip>

Epson's printers use two different types of inks - dye-based and pigment.
You will want to consider which is more appropriate to your uses before you
can select a printer model. See the Epson list I referred you to earlier
for more than you want to know about these joys. Print/color permanence is
one issue involved here.

Also, if you are not already, be aware that just because you can
produce/see a color on your monitor does not mean you can print it on paper.

Best of luck.

David

David Jackson
First Year Experience Program