Re: gelatin hardener (was: paper for cyanotype or other alt processes)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/28/03-06:53:52 PM Z

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Scott Wainer wrote:

> Hi Ryuji,
>
> Sorry for the confusion over the spelling of Glyoxal; I was feeling a bit
> dyslexic and did not use the spellcheck.

Scott, are you going to tell us with a straight face that your spellcheck
has got GLYOXAL ?!!! Mine doesn't even have cyanotype, much less
kallitype, or a surprising number of terms we consider standard English.
What marvelous program would that be?

Meanwhile, I think a point needs to be made about the glyoxal. However
dandy your nitrogen blasts are, I have no trouble keeping the 40% glyoxal
in a half empty or near-empty bottle. It's the 15% solution diluted for
use that goes off -- and within a day or two. It's not the use that does
it, or at least not that I could tell. I put some diluted in a pretty full
bottle without using it, and it still died... and this was with the methyl
alcohol that's supposed to be a preservative.

That's a really good price from city chemical by the way... They're
terrifically expensive on some other things... a friend paid something
like $100 for a gram of gold from them before he knew better... Must have
been pure spun fairy gold... ?

cheers,

Judy