RE: A newcomer into the alt. process world...

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 07/03/03-02:58:11 AM Z

Hi Sam, thanks for your reply.

That's very logical; since cyanotypes are inexpensive to produce (I
purchased "bulk" chemicals to make 1.25lt of each part - in other words:
2.5lt of mixed sensitizer!!! - just for US$ 17) I can experiment as much
as I want.

BTW, how much formalin should I add to a lt. of ferric ammonium citrate
solution in order to prevent mould built?

> NEGATIVES: with digital negatives being so easy and good, you
> may not want to spend time
> enlarging your negatives. Wait till you have the equipment to

I have Dan Burkholder's book on this subject and also print digitally
using pigmented "Piezotone" brand quadtone inks. I don't have the
possibility of imagesetter output (this is a very expensive option in
Istanbul) and will try digital negatives with the Piezotones. But I'm
not much hopeful; I don't have access to Pictorico OHP film (the best
transparency option for pigmented inks - do you know any other?) and I
seriously doubt that it can reach enough density (the best Dmax. I had
from these inks was 1.53) on glossy transparency media. AFAIK, these are
very delicate too - pigment ink smears very quickly on
glossy/transparency. I would like to hear comments, suggestions on this
issue...

> do it digitally. Meanwhile, you may
> want to make yourself 5x7 or 8x10 pinhole cameras in order to
> get negatives large enough for
> cyanotype.

Unfortunately there are no 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10 B&W films present in Turkey.
I had to order my 4x5 films from the U.S. - Pro's use 4x5 transparency
films exclusively here. Therefore, distributors don't stock large format
B&W films.

> And: make certain the coating is really dry before exposure.
> The coating contains photographic
> bleach that can damage your negative if not completely dry.

I have read that some individuals use "mylar" sheets to protect
negatives (we don't have it either) but I plan to use simple acetate
(thinnest I can find). How much this practice will affect print quality?
Will print using the sun - we have plenty of sun down here ;)

> You also may want to do simple "photograms" first, by using
> leaves and other objects as negatives,
> laying them directly on the coated paper, till you get used
> to the process before using your
> precious negatives.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

> Also, when single coat of the chemicals works well enough,
> try giving it a second coat after the
> first coat is dry. Double coating will make the tones much richer.

I have potassium dichromate - will adding some to the sensitizer help
achieving darker - deeper shadows?

> Please let us know how it goes.

Of course, I'm sure I'm going to flood(!) the list with many questions -
as soon as I start.

Thank you again,
Loris.