Re: GUM TESTING

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/14/03-12:52:29 PM Z

Katharine,
     Rushing around as I am, getting ready to leave for APIS so I probably
won't do the testing until I get back, but:
     Have to go get distilled water and run the test again at equal
saturations--both were used at saturation, and exposed the same time, so the
only thing the test shows me is that the sun will bleach out pot di--not
that it won't am di--at saturation levels commonly used in practice (10 and
30% respectively), and *reduced* chromium that is seriously overexposed in
the borders (whew!). I will mix up an equal proportion of each and see
whether this still holds true. Certainly in practice, as I had said, this
isn't very relevant because we use chemicals to remove stain very
effectively. I was actually just seeing if sun even HAD an effect on the
stain because it was...a weird thought. And I was surprised that lo and
behold it did?!
     But get this, speaking of weird thoughts: I came across several times
in different authors, both current and past, that at a certain point, the
concentration of the dichromates does not increase speed!! In other words,
once past 5% it doesn't really matter much!!! Now, I have NO CLUE why some
people would say that or think that but it is yet another thing to test!
Because, if it is true, I'd save a lot of dichromate. I know Suzanne Izzo
uses her concentration less than saturation. Maybe at a certain point it
does its hardening thing and past that it doesn't matter. Please note I am
NOT saying this is true--but this, along with the bleaching of the sun on
dichromates, seems so bizarre to me and contrary to logical thinking and
what others say on this list if I remember, that I can't leave it alone as
a fallacy--aside from the fact that if it IS true, it would be of benefit.
Hence the testing. I think Sandy has probably done this type of test of
dichromates at different concentrations, or maybe you have, and can dispel
this heretofore myth (or confirm its truth!) and chime in here.
     And, furthermore, Nadeau, as does Gassan and a few more people, points
out the fallacy that dichromates are not sensitive when wet, a fallacy as
Nadeau says has been continuing for 80 years. So there are lots of these
things floating around, as we all on this list know.
     Back to the sun clearing:

     1. The stain was in the borders of the print, not the image area.
     2. At 5 minutes for each image the am di one wasn't massively
overexposed.
     3. I actually always get pretty overexposed borders outside the image
area like that because I don't mask my negatives.
     4. So in practice this does have an effect, and the effect on the
reduced chromium was perceptible through the pigment in the border areas,
too, that overlapped the sensitized paper parts. It wasn't just bare
chromium.
     5. My point was not that am di presents problems. On the contrary, I
much prefer am di because I'm used to it and how it performs, and pot di
frustrates me because it doesn't perform in the same way. But I don't
conclude from this that pot di is "no good" as it seems people will be quick
to say about am di.

     Hope this answers some of the questions and the rest I'll address later
when I get back.
     Bill, how did I miss you were in MT and where in MT?
Chris