RE: GUM TESTING/CLEARING

From: Keith Gerling (keith@gumphoto.com)
Date: 07/17/03-12:27:46 PM Z

Bill,

I've spent a considerable amount of time working with gumoil as well as with
traditional gum bichromate. With all due respect, your description of the
process has me totally confused, as it does not describe it as it is
typically practiced. The process, as I perform it, unfolds something like
this:

1) A sheet of paper is coated with a solution of gum and dichromate - no
pigment.
2) The dried paper is exposed to light using a positive, rather than a
negative.
3) The paper is developed and thoroughly dried. (I never clear, but since
clearing is the issue here, this is where you would do it)
4) The dried paper is then wettened with water and the excess water is
squeegeed away.
5) Oil based paint is applied to the paper. The print is worked over with
brushes, rollers, paper towels, and the paint adheres to the drier areas and
is resisted by the wetter areas.

In practice, gumoil is rather similar to the Bromoil process. I don't liken
it at all to gum bichromate photography.

I guess my question to you would be: why do you think the prints need to be
cleared? Are they actually still yellow/orange even after you have applied
the oil paint?

Keith

http://www.gumphoto.com