RE: GUM TESTING/CLEARING

From: Keith Gerling (keith@gumphoto.com)
Date: 07/17/03-02:05:26 PM Z

Bill,

I can't speak to the literature you have, except to say that I don't
understand it. No more dichromate is added after the oil painting begins,
so logic would seem to suggest that it would be a good idea to clear and be
done with it!

I'm also confused about the non-wetting of the print. Gumoil, like Bromoil,
exploits the fact that water resists oil. I haven't tried it, but it would
seem that if oil paint were to be applied to a dry print, that the result
would be a painted piece of paper! I guess you have a method of removing
the paint from the gummed areas? In any event, the highlights of a gumoil
are the regions of the print where the gum is thickest, and where there is
less-to-no paint present. One approach to might be to place the finished
print in a solution of Clorox (after the oil paint has dried!). This will
dissolve the hardened gum, and send it down the drain with the dichromate
stain.

As for "doing something wrong", well, plenty of successful gum printers DO
use dichromate-clearing agents, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Keith

http://www.gumphoto.com