Dust and Static Control

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/18/03-08:55:52 PM Z

Recently a friend sent me information about the following site on
dust and static control.
http://www.modernsolutionsinc.com/dust/duststa2.html#Anchor-60134
This got me looking at the dust and static problem in my own printing
environment. I print with two different light sources: 1) a 1000 watt
metal halide HID lamp and, 2) a large 48X32" bank of BLB tubes. Both
are used with vacuum easels and give very good, but slightly
different, results. However, the BLB set-up is interesting, almost
weird, because with this light, which is very dark blue/purplish in
color, every little speck of dust, lint, dirt, skin flakes, hair,
etc. stand out in a way that is difficult to imagine if you have
never worked with BLB light. Completely different look from a bank of
BL tubes I might add.

OK, I was really shocked by all the stuff blowing around and landing
on the glass of the vacuum easel during exposure with the BLB lights.
I am sure it is happening with the Metal Halide unit as well but the
color of the light does not reveal it as well. So, what I am
wondering is this. Is there any kind of electronic anti-static device
that one can attach to an exposing unit or vacuum frame that would
reject this trash, rather than attract it as is apparently the case.

Sandy King