Re: Dust and Static Control

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 07/19/03-05:18:58 AM Z

Hello Sandy,

Neutralizing both positive and negatively charged motes and keeping them
from lighting on a large
horizontal surface is nearly impossible outside of a "clean room". One
thing is that the glass itself creates quite
an e-field once you rub it with a cloth when cleaning. To illustrate how
much so: I have a light table at my day
job that is built within a table having two 3-foot fluorescent tubes.
One of the tubes never lights when you turn
the switch 'on'. Simply rubbing the glass with a sheet of paper a couple
of strokes will fire the lamp!

I've noticed commercial static air cleaners for sale by retailers like
Sharper Image and others:
http://www.ionicbreezeairpurifier.com/
These units might help with the volume of motes in a given room
depending on the size of the room.
Traffic through the area, drafts, ceiling type, flooring, clothing, etc.
all contribute their share of "dust".

Although a "clean room" is best, I have managed in the past by taking a
different tack by not trying to
eliminate them at all. The trick is to keep them moving. As long as
the glass is not acting like a magnet,
which is an easy fix with an antistatic liquid. A good fan blowing
across the surface during exposure
keeps the appearance of dust on the final image to a minimum.

Now, to keep them out of drying gelatin sheets! ; )

best regards,
Phillip

btw, the color and effect of the light you describe is very much like
the UV units I use to photograph
stained gels for research purposes. It's probably been covered on the
list many times here but this
type of output can be very damaging to the eyes. I know that you know
this but thought I'd mention
it for others.