Re: Toning Cyanotype

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 07/20/03-03:45:31 AM Z

I don't think that exposing a cyanotype to sun light is a good idea (see
below). This is not how a fine art print should be treated anyway...

According to Christopher James' book a cyanotype exposed to strong sun light
will eventually (and definitely) fade. Cyanotypes don't like sun and alkali
conditions. If fading due to sun light occurs, prints sometimes may be saved
(in other words: gain their original color) by storing in a dark place for a
couple of weeks. The author also states that the tannic acid toned
cyanotypes he made 20 years ago show no signs of deterioration.

Regards,
Loris.