Re: Toning Cyanotype & coating gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/20/03-06:21:53 PM Z

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Loris Medici wrote:
> According to Christopher James' book a cyanotype exposed to strong sun light
> will eventually (and definitely) fade. Cyanotypes don't like sun and alkali
> conditions. If fading due to sun light occurs, prints sometimes may be saved
> (in other words: gain their original color) by storing in a dark place for a
> couple of weeks. The author also states that the tannic acid toned
> cyanotypes he made 20 years ago show no signs of deterioration.

Both my sources and my tests say that although cyano comes back after
"resting" in the dark, it doesn't come back quite 100 %.

And on another topic, since this is my last sheet of stationery -- in my
experience the least good way to coat paper for a gum print is with a rod.
It may be OK for gumoil (tho I doubt that's a good beginner medium), but
the gum emulsion is whisked or burnished onto the paper, best and
traditionally done with spreader and then a dry brush (often a hake).

The rod lays down a coat which, in gum, odds are is too thick & not
attached -- so probably best reserved for emulsions that soak into the
paper, eg platinum, VDB, kalli. Gum doesn't.

Where you're not trying to eke out a coat with the fewest drops, it's
safer & easier to just flow/slosh it on.... (tho of course if you're
coating by bug light -- that's more grief).

Judy