Re: News from APIS

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/24/03-09:54:30 AM Z

All of here at B+S are extremely happy. APIS is always a bit of a toss
up as the presentations are often selected via email and telephone
conversations so you really don't know for sure how they will turn out.
Some presentations are a given as we know the people and their work quite
well but others are somewhat of a risk.

Russ Young -- formerly of this list, lots of formers -- perhaps had the
biggest surprise of all with his soft focus lens talk. Many were initially
turned off even by the thought of soft focus. As one person said before
the presentation: "Boring!" But later told me it was their favorite. Russ
is doing his doctorate at St Andrews College in Scotland on soft focus.
Overall from conversations I had it might have been the No 1. talk. Our B+S
intern for the summer seemed to have been blown away by it. I think photo
students today are given a very narrow path to follow in photography and
soft focus = Pictorialism = dead end, being the plan of the day.

We are already planning for 2005 so if you have any criticism of the 2003
affair good, bad, or otherwise, let me know. We'd like to know what we did
wrong and what we did right and what we could do differently. Ideas for
presentations are also in order.

One of the problems is bringing people in from afar. This problem might be
solved by 2005 if things go as I hope.

Bottom line is that the people make the affair a success and we had THE
people.

--Dick Sullivan