Re: Re: inkjet negs

stwang1@bellsouth.net
Date: 07/29/03-07:41:05 AM Z

Christine,

The posterization has nothing to do with the size or resolution of your file. It has to do with
bit depth: 16 bit files can eliminate it.

Of course most of us use 8 bit files. To translate what your monitor shows you to negative
densities that would print well in the process of your choice is not easy. You'll need a
curve adjustment. Unfortunately someone else's curve may not fit your particular need.
I'm beta-testing Mark Nelson's system of customising curves and I've been able to
eliminate the posterising, plus producing negatives that print predictably, in Pd with the
contrast mix I choose, in cyanotype, and in gum.

So, acquire and manipulate your images in 16 bit mode. That would help a lot - just look
at the histogram afterwards and you'll see a big difference from that of 8 bit files. Then
work out a curve to fit your need, or wait for Mark to distribute his system.

Sam Wang