Re: Was Gum Q&A, now is Berger Method of Gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/29/03-10:53:40 PM Z

> Chris, I'm wondering how it is that the unhardened gum would NOT be
> dissolved by the brushing on of additional emulsion. Are you saying that
> the underlying layer is not dissolved? Or that it is dissolved, but this
> doesn't cause any problems?
> Thanks,
> Keith

I usually brush very quickly with a wide hake brush (2 inches), and by the
time I am done brushing it really has not had much time to get wet and
dissolve before I am hair-drying the new layer. That is why I think that
with your larger sizes you are doing, and the ensuant longer brush time, you
may be having this problem moreso. Anyway, it has not shown any adverse
effect that I can detect. Also, I use 1:1 gum to dichromate. My first layer
is a very pale one that is pretty well hardened through and through. My
second layer is not going to budge the first layer that much. Then the
"budging" would only be a problem with the third coat. If I remember
correctly, you were doing way many more layers than I, too.

I read of a technique of doing a sort of "terre verte" background, or earthy
green of some sort, and then a next layer of sanguine (red earth color) over
that to depict, for instance, a nude on a backdrop of pale green--in that
case, with the highlighted flesh it may even be good to have the previous
layer of green move on you and off the flesh when coating with the second
layer. Just a quickie idea...

Chris