Re: Silver cristals in Salt Print emulsion

From: Agustin (abarrutia@velocom.com.ar)
Date: 06/01/03-12:25:14 PM Z

Thank you Jack for your informative post!:
I`ll see if heating the solution disolves the cristals.
For Fixing I usually use a 1/18 solution of Agefix from Agfa. I bought 500g
of sodium hypo and used the Reed fixer formula (i think it was 25g in
500ml), but I find much more easier to make a weaker solution of Agefix,
rather than disolving the cristals of hypo.(and using a scale to measure
25g, as I donīt have one)
I can get pretty much any chemical I want, as there are some labs that can
import special orders, but itīs quite expensive. (100g of sirver nitrate for
65 dollars).
I use a hake brush and arround 0.5 to 1 ml for a 4x5 print. I found that
when using to much solution (2 or 3 mls) with this paper (fabriano
100%cotton) the image looses contrast and definition.
Sound strange that using ocean water didnīt give you any chemical
contamination!. One of the most difficult parts of salt printing for me is
to get a clean print with no spots or lines due to the silver reacting with
unkown chemicals.
I have a couple of salt prints here if youīd like to take a look:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=240036
Thank you once again for your income and for the Joeīs PDF.

Sincerely,
Agustin Barrutia.

---