Re: Age of Rodenstock lens

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06/01/03-08:39:56 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tor-Einar Jarnbjo" <tor-einar@jarnbjo.de>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 9:06 PM
Subject: RE: Age of Rodenstock lens

> Hi,
>
> this list does not seem to be correct. I called Rodenstock
in Munich a few
> months ago to date a lens with serial number 37023 and was
told that it was
> from the late 20s or early 30s. The person I talked to
sounded very
> competent and also offered me the possibility to find the
exact production
> date in their archive, but I only needed a rough estimate,
so I was
> satisified with "around 1930".
>
> Tor

  Given the likely volume of lenses made the list makes
sense but the age given by phone does not.
  I suspect the lady at Rodenstock either got the number
wrong or read the list wrong. Perhaps an extra digit got
inserted. If she interpreted the serial number as, say,
370023, the 1930 date would be right. I strongly suspect
this is what happened.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA